Find your local Child Benefit office

Child Benefit local officesThe U.K. Child Benefit office administers the child benefits and guardian’s benefit schemes. The parent responsible for the upkeep of the child receives the benefit. The rate of child benefit is £20.50 a week for the eldest child and £13.55 a week for other children, and all children under 16 years of age, and some children under 20 years are age are entitled to this benefit. Guardians who care for another child, whose parents are dead receive an additional guardian’s benefit over and above the child benefits.

Child Benefits Office Location

The registered office of the Child Benefit Office is at Washington, Newcastle upon Tyne (NE88 1ZD). The Child benefits Office is a department under HMRC (HM Revenue and Customs) and does not have any customer service branches at any location. All claims and equiries go to this central office, and there is no local office to make enquiries. HRMC has local tax offices throughout the U.K., details of which may be had from the HMRC helpline.

To avail the benefits for the first time, it is possible to get a child benefit claim form from the hospital where the child is born. The filled up form, along with the birth certificate, and any other documentation required, may be send to the Child Benefits Office by post.

It is possible contact the Child Benefits Office using the Child Benefits helpline for all reasons. The helpline is open between 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday, and 8am to 4pm on Saturday.

Reasons for Contacting Child Benefits Office

The child benefits are paid either weekly or in a span of four weeks directly to the bank account of the beneficiary, but people still need to contact the Child Benefit Office for various reasons. The main reasons are to apply for the benefits, report any change of circumstances that may affect the benefits, to resolve issues related to the disbursal of benefits, and to seek information or clarifications regarding the scheme. 

Changes in circumstances of the child or parents may increase or decrease the child benefit. The changes, for which parents may want to contact the Child Benefits Office may include relocation outside UK, the child stopping education, birth of a new baby, whether the beneficiary on income support, and other circumstances.